Ok this post is right out of left field. I’m not the greatest cook out there and this blog is definitely not about food recipes. But I thought I’d post this because it turned out really well, even my little one got excited when I took it out of the oven.
This is my version of sushi bake. It’s super easy to make and most of the ingredients are usually already in your fridge or pantry. In my case, I only had to buy roasted seaweed sheets, crab sticks and smoked salmon.
Pause here: I should let you know that the rest of this page contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on a link and a purchase is made, it may allow me to earn a small commission. But it comes at no additional cost to you. Read on!
You could also elevate this recipe by using sushi mayo, or adding tobiko (fish eggs/caviar) and ripe mango, or using proper sushi rice — I couldn’t find it at the store so I just used the white rice that I already have in my pantry.
This should only take 15-20 minutes to prepare (excluding bake time) but with a crying baby, it might take double that time.
- cooked white rice (2 cups)
- 1 cucumber, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 8 crab sticks, finely chopped
- smoked salmon, (250 g)
- grated mozzarella and cheddar cheese, (half cup)
- mayonnaise, (3 tbsps)
- sesame oil (1 tbsp)
- vinegar (1 tbsp)
- sesame seeds (1 tsp)
- white sugar (1/2 tsp)
- crushed roasted seaweed sheets (3 packs)
Tip: Use food processor to chop cucumber, carrots, and crab sticks. Makes life easier! 😉
- Mix chopped carrots, cucumber and mayonnaise in a bowl.
- Mix chopped crab sticks and vinegar in another bowl.
- Mix cooked rice, sesame oil, white sugar and 1/2 tsp sesame seeds in another bowl.
- Start layering in a dish pan: first lay rice, then carrots and cucumber mix, then add 1 pack roasted seaweed sheets, then crab sticks mix, then add another pack roasted seaweed sheets, then smoked salmon, then 1 pack roasted seaweed sheets, and finally grated cheese. Finish off with sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven 425F. Bake for 15 mins.
- Serve with roasted seaweed sheets.
- Bon appétit!!
Did you try this recipe? Did you and your family like it? Did you tweak it, how? Let me know by leaving a reply below or through IG @happymamahappybaby.ca or Twitter @happymama_blog